WCBS Newsradio 880 in HD, FM that is!

Sid Schweiger sid@wrko.com
Sun Oct 5 21:02:44 EDT 2008

>>I wonder if all the patrons dining at the Top of the Pru (not to mention the staff)
are being "fried" by the FM's and channel 68 (is their DTV antenna there too?)
on the roof.<<

Short answer:  No.

Each licensee must certify, at license renewal time, that the levels of RF exposure to the general public are lower than FCC limits.  A fairly simple calcuation is done to meet the certification, based on ERP and the distance to the nearest area to which the public has access.  Master antenna systems have their own set of rules, IIRC, and the FCC takes this stuff very seriously.  A few years back, the tenants of the Mt. Wilson antenna farm overlooking Los Angeles were hit with a huge fine because someone left a gate open, which was discovered during a routine FCC inspection of one of the stations.

Sid Schweiger
IT Manager, Entercom New England
WAAF/WEEI/WEEI-FM/WKAF/WMKK/WRKO/WVEI/WVEI-FM
20 Guest St / 3d Floor
Brighton MA  02135-2040