Eureka-147

Garrett Wollman wollman@bimajority.org
Sun Oct 5 20:56:22 EDT 2008

<<On Sun, 5 Oct 2008 13:50:07 -0400, "Dan.Strassberg" <dan.strassberg@att.net> said:

> Yes, Canada adopted the Eureka-147 system a number of years ago (my
> guess, at least 10 years). Eureka-147 uses L-Band (around 1.4 GHz, I
> believe).

In Canada.  Other countries use different bands.  The countries where
it's been successful generally use Band III (VHF-high), as those
countries have moved television to UHF.

> (I don't know whether it's frequency division, time division, or
> orthogonal frequency division) divides the signal among the various
> stations.

It's OFDM.  The Wikipedia article explains the precise technique (jump
to the "Technology" section -- most of the rest of the article was
written by British anti-Eureka anoraks).

-GAWollman