WCBS Newsradio 880 in HD, FM that is!

David Tomm nostaticatall@charter.net
Sat Oct 4 15:55:29 EDT 2008

The CRTC is encouraging broadcasters to abandon the AM band in Canada
and migrate to FM.  Digitizing AM signals runs contradictory to their
goal of having AM stations only in the largest cities.  They may have
had a system at one time, but it's kind of a moot point now.

Now Mexico is doing the same thing.  Station owners there are being
given the opportunity to move their facilities to FM.  They can apply
for a frequency, then would have a year to build it out and another
year after that to shut down the AM's.  Of course, there are far
fewer stations in Mexico than in the US, and there will be problems
trying to find FM spectrum space around Tijuana, Mexico City and
other towns near the US border.

-Dave Tomm