holiday songs that are torture

Eli Polonsky elipolo@earthlink.net
Fri Nov 28 15:40:43 EST 2008

> From: "Kevin Vahey" <kvahey@comcast.net>
> Thursday, November 27, 2008 12:31 PM
> To: <boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org>
> Re: holiday songs that are torture
>
> Last time I heard it was when WMBR played it on
> Lost and Found.

Must've been a few years ago. "Lost & Found" will not
play it anymore due to the amount of other stations
playing it. I can't speak for any other shows on WMBR,
but I know that the station didn't play it yesterday.

Kind of ironic, since WMBR (as WTBS) was one of the
first, if not THE first, Boston area station to play
it in its entirety when it came out in late 1967, a
few months before WBCN began playing rock music.

WBRS Brandeis (then 91.7) also played it back then,
and I wonder if maybe Dick Summer played it late at
night on his WBZ show ??

Spinning the dial quickly from Newton, MA at noontime
on Thanksgiving yesterday, I heard "Alice's Restaurant"
being played on the following ten stations:

980 WCAP Lowell
88.9 WERS Boston
91.9 WUMB Boston
92.5 WXRV Andover (playing newer 1990s version)
94.1 WHJY Providence, RI
100.3 WHEB Portsmouth, NH
100.7 WZLX Boston
101.1 WGIR Manchester, NH
104.1 WBCN Boston
105.7 WROR Boston

Probably could've found even more if I had more time...

EP