Small-town news

Howard Glazer hmglaz@worldnet.att.net
Mon Nov 24 13:47:05 EST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: Doug Drown <revdoug1@verizon.net>
To: Kevin Vahey <kvahey@gmail.com>
Cc: Dan.Strassberg <dan.strassberg@att.net>; Boston Radio Group
<boston-radio-interest@lists.bostonradio.org>
Sent: Monday, November 24, 2008 12:00 PM
Subject: Small-town news

> This might make an interesting (and fun) thread.  Lead stories on a
> small-city and small-town broadcasting stations could sometimes be pretty
> amusing.  I remember one 11 PM newscast on Channel 5 in Bangor years ago
in
> which the lead story was the opening of a new bowling alley in Brewer.
>
> To paraphrase Jeff Foxworthy, "You know you live in Maine when . . ."
>
> -Doug

Don't remember any lead stories, but I do remember that, in the late '70s, I
used to listen a little station in Forrest City, Ark., KXJK (950), that
occasionally read the obituaries from the local paper right after the news.
KXJK was a country station, and I vividly recall one morning on which the DJ
on duty came out of the obits with the Statler Brothers' "I'll Go To My
Grave (Loving You)."

Howard