The importance of local talk radio

Kevin Vahey kvahey@gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 11:21:43 EST 2008

We have talked about this before but before satellite programming took
hold New England had a baseball like farm system for radio.

Bangor, Burlington, Pittsfield were class A
Manchester, Portland, Worcester, Springfield were AA

Providence and Hartford AAA  and then Boston

Of course Boston became a feeder not so much for New York but Chicago.

I remember Springfield having 2 great Top 40 stations WHYN and WTXL.
Worcester WORC and WAAB, Providence WPRO and WICE and Hartford WPOP
and WDRC.

Quite a number of smaller stations also had talk shows and actual
newsrooms. I remember in the late 60's visiting a friend at WNBP and
the lead story was how the fire department rescued a cat from a tree.