The importance of local talk radio

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Mon Nov 24 08:59:18 EST 2008

I remember WORL in the summer of '56 with a lineup that consisted of
Gregg Finn in AM drive (with 15 minutes taken out from 6:15 to 6:30
for the Rosary with Cardinal Cushing), Stan Richards (9:00AM to noon),
Norm Tulin (noon to 2:00PM), and Dave Maynard (2:00PM to 6:00PM or
sign-off at sunset.) In the summer, newsguy Hank Elliott did a music
show from 6:00PM to sign-off. I would not call WORL a top-40, though;
I think it was what was then known as an MOR.

I don't remember who took over PM drive after Maynard left for WBZ.
The AM-drive newsguy was Len Libman (later known as Len Lawrence on
the old WEEI 590, WMEX, and others). I believe that while Len worked
at WORL he was a student at BU and his classes were just a short walk
from the radio station in Kenmore Square.

I still remember the theme songs of several of the DJ programs:
"You'll
be sure to wind up smilin'/if it's nine-five-oh your dialin'/You're
gonna love it we know/when you're lis'nin' to the Stan Richards show"
and "No foolin',/no foolin',/get ready to hear/Norm Tulin." Years
later, after Norm had moved in to WHN in New York, I worked with an HR
guy named Barry Tulin at Honeywell in Framingham (on Old Connecticut
Path). Turned out that Barry was Norm's cousin.

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367