Last thoughts on the Fairness Doctrine....

A. Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Mon Nov 17 01:30:06 EST 2008

On 16 Nov 2008 at 16:34, Dan Billings wrote:

> Very scary example, IMO.  Any time someone on a broadcast station
> attacks an author of a controversial book, the station would have to
> let the author respond.

Yes, that is the way it was.  And not just authors.  As I believe I
mentioned recently, in the early 1980s, when I was president of the
Brookline Tenant Union, I was on a talk show on WBUR with Boston-area
landlord Harold Brown.  A clerk-magistrate in the Brookline District
Court had recently issued a criminal complaint against Brown for a
violation of the Brookline rent control bylaw.  When the subject came
up, Brown said that the magistrate's decision was "coerced."   I
defended the magistrate, saying (which was true) that he called
things as he saw them, and you can't coerce him into issuing a
criminal complaint.

I later learned from the magistrate that WBUR had send him a cassette
of the program and invited him to respond.  Which he chose not to do.
 But he sure liked my defense of him.