WFGL-AM, Fitchburg/Boston(?) Sold

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Sun Nov 16 22:52:40 EST 2008

Seems to me WFGL increased its day power to 2500W at least a decade
ago. I think the change was made shortly after the FCC added 2500W to
the (then) list of allowable powers. That change to the regulations
was made a lot of years ago! And isn't it obvious from the names of
the old and new licensees that there has been no actual transfer of
control? The 2.5 kW day pattern is similar to the old 1 kW day pattern
except that the lobe to the northwest became stronger. The lobe to the
southeast, which covers Fitchburg (the CoL) and Leominster, could not
be changed because of protections to WELI and WROL.

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367

----- Original Message -----
From: "Laurence Glavin" <lglavin@mail.com>
To: <boston-radio-interest@lists.BostonRadio.org>
Sent: Wednesday, November 12, 2008 5:52 PM
Subject: WFGL-AM, Fitchburg/Boston(?) Sold

The transactions section of radioandrecords.com included a
multi-station
deal whereby an entity called Calvary Radio Network would transfer
ownership
of a couple of dozen radio stations and translators to Calvary Church
of Costa
Mesa.  I don't know if these are totally separate groups, but one of
them
apparently owed the other $2-million or so, and thus the transfer
became a
debt-settling transaction.  Included among the stations were several
in New England:
WFGL-AM 960, given as Fitchburg/Boston (that will come as a surprise
to WROL)
and an FM in Gardner, MA, WJWT 91.7.  Up in Maine, WJCX-FM 99.5 in
Pittsfield
was sold.  I noticed that r&r gave WFGL-AM's power as 3 kw, but at
fcc.gov
it's listed as 2.5.  WFGL was a 1,000 watt station for a long time,
but
apparently this power boost is fairly recent, and the full effect of
the
increase seems to be oriented NNW, towards Ashburnham and Winchendon.
Must
have been trying to get the Wichendon Furniture Group's advertising (I
assume the 960 operation was commercial, the 91.7 was not.)

--
Be Yourself @ mail.com!
Choose From 200+ Email Addresses
Get a Free Account at www.mail.com