Something to watch out for...

Garrett Wollman wollman@bimajority.org
Sun Nov 16 14:04:43 EST 2008

<<On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 12:52:16 -0500, Larry Weil <kc1ih@mac.com> said:

> Of course, there would be the additional complication that Sunbeam
> also owns and operates, from the same facilities, WLVI.  I doubt NBC
> would want WLVI, so it would need to be sold off separately, if
> anyone even wants them at this point.

At the moment, it appears that there are a lot more properties on the
market than there are buyers.  Actually, scratch that.  It appears
that there are a lot of broadcast properties on the market and no
buyers at all.

I'm told that Salem is particularly hard-up for cash and looking to
sell off whatever they can to keep the larger-market stations running
until the economy picks up.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a number of broadcast groups in Chapter
11 by the middle of next year if the financing crunch continues.

I suppose that if Fox ends up buying WSVN, they could fairly easily
take WLVI off Ansin's hands at the same time.  That would presumably
mean the end of news on 56.  NBC couldn't take it (they already own in
this market).  There's nobody else in the business with access to
capital on reasonable terms right now.

-GAWollman