Is Art Lake (WJAR) still alive?

Kevin Vahey kvahey@comcast.net
Sun Nov 16 00:26:13 EST 2008

Just wondering if anybody on the list knows if Art Lake is still
alive. He was still on the air as late as 2005 when he suffered a
stroke.

There is a misconception that John Quill was on the air at WWLP longer
than anyone in New England but I think Art Lake has that honor.

He was hired by WJAR radio in 1944 and moved to TV in 1949.

Professor Halper perhaps he should be honored given that WJAR's
coverage area included much of southeastern Massachusetts and if he is
still alive he must have a treasure of stories he can tell.

I notice the Wikipedia entry about WJAR has one major error. It says
the station was still in the Outlet building when it was destroyed by
fire but in fact they had moved to new studios 2 blocks away in the
late 70's. Outlet then fled to Cranston when Mayor Buddy Cianci who
was a frequent target raised their property tax bill by ten times.
Outlet got even by selling the studios to a local college taking it
off the tax rolls completely.

Outlet had no use for radio as they donated WJAR-FM to Brown
University (now WBRU) and sold off WJAR-AM (now WHJJ) for cheap money.