Have you seen today's Boston Globe?...

A. Joseph Ross Joe@attorneyross.com
Sat Nov 15 14:30:13 EST 2008

On 15 Nov 2008 Scott Fybush wrote:

> So what do you make of this decidedly non-conservative who agrees 100%
> with Dan - I don't want the government regulating political speech OR
> sexual content on radio or TV?

It's not entirely a conservative position, and there are a lot of
positions on various issues which were once liberal and are now
conservative and vice versa.  For example, isolationism was a strong
conservative position in the 1950s.  In the late 60s and 70s, it was
often a liberal position.  In 1960, it was Kennedy who complained
about Eisenhower's cuts in the defense budget.  Stevenson, in 1956,
proposed eliminating the military draft.  In 1968, Nixon promised to
do it and, eventually did so.  Since then, it has been liberals who
have been more opposed to any attempt to restore the draft.  But it
was Harry Truman, in the late 1940s, who pushed Universal Military
Training.  I'm sure anyone can find many other examples.

So it's not liberal or conservative, it's whether someone has the
integrity to apply their principles to different situations or to
have a principled reason why not to.  I have less respect for people
who are for small government if they are only for small government
when it comes to business regulation, but want intrusive government
when it comes to personal liberties.  Likewise, I think there's
something inconsistent about people who claim to be pro-life, but
favor the death penalty.

--
A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                   617.367.0468
92 State Street, Suite 700            Fax: 617.507.7856