Have you seen today's Boston Globe?...

Richard Chonak rac@gabrielmass.com
Sat Nov 15 04:48:01 EST 2008

Scott Fybush wrote:

> So what do you make of this decidedly non-conservative who agrees 100%
> with Dan - I don't want the government regulating political speech OR
> sexual content on radio or TV?

A good point.  If I may say so, your views and Dan's on the matter are
libertarian, rather than conservative _per se_.

Conservatism as such aims to _conserve_ Western culture and the good
things about it, and seeks to be guided by history and experience,
rather than by a rigorous application of ideological principles (with
the chips falling where they may).

So conservatives, due to experience, are skeptical about what government
can do to remake man (as in the Communist ideal) or heal the planet
(whatever), but they are willing to use modest, non-draconian sanctions
to accomplish modest goods, such as to keep what is obscene ob-scene:
that is, "off-stage" (as the Greek dramatists put it).

It's amazing that public opposition to obscenity in public speech,
broadcasting, film, novels, and periodicals has evaporated in 50 years
-- but maybe I shouldn't assume that public opposition is altogether
gone.  After all, who studies public opinion on such questions as
censorship these days?

--RC