What if WBZ had gone 500KW???? (car antennas)

Aaron Read friedbagels@gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 11:07:10 EST 2008

It was indeed car antennas.  Around the late 1990's/early 2000's, many
car manufacturers made a real push to reduce or "hide" radio antennas in
response to negative consumer feelings towards them:  they often break
or bend when run through a car wash, and the motorized ones that
automatically go up/down also have a lot of moving parts that break, too.

That said, I think you'll find that virtually all of the HD Radio
receivers for the auto have remarkably good FM and AM sensitivity.  Even
if you don't care about the HD part, I highly recommend trying them just
for regular analog listening.

For example, I used to have the "gold standard" of FM listening: the
Blaupunkt Casablanca CD-51 with SHARX DSP I.F. filtering.  I thought it
still was until I swapped out my "old" Kenwood HTC-HR100 and the
sensitivity dropped like a brick.  Granted, the Kenwood is quite good
overall in FM/AM sensitivity, but it's not the best...and it still blew
the doors off my old beloved Casablanca.  I have a JVC KD-HDR1 these
days and I'm quite happy with it for both analog and HD listening.

BTW, appropo of nothing, I wonder if WBZ and the other "super AM's" had
remained at 500kW ERP...IBOC might never have happened.  I'm not all
that familiar with IBOC for AM, but it strikes me that it'd be bastardly
difficult to figure out how to run IBOC injection at power levels like
that...especially with the technology available in the 1980's.  So much
so that Lucent and USA Radio might've deemed it impossible at the start...?

Aaron Read                  |  Finger Lakes Public Radio
friedbagels@gmail.com       |  General Manager (WEOS & WHWS-LP)
Geneva, NY 14456            |  www.weos.org / www.whws.fm

At 8:43 PM -0500 11/12/08, SteveOrdinetz wrote:

 >Something seemed to happen to car radios around 2001 or so.  It
 >doesn't seem to matter what make car, they all are pretty dreadful
 >now.  Since most auto makers offer factory satellite radio, I'm
 >wondering if they intentionally crippled the terrestrial portion to
 >make satellite look better.

Is the real problem the receivers or the antennas?  Most cars these
days have either an in-glass antenna or a short stubby one.
--
Larry Weil
Lake Wobegone, NH