What if WBZ had gone 500KW????

Doug Drown revdoug1@verizon.net
Wed Nov 12 09:30:35 EST 2008

WBZ does quite well with its 50KW signal, to say nothing of what 500KW might
acccomplish.  Intriguing question.

During daytime hours, I have picked up 'BZ on my car radio as far southwest
as Port Jervis, N.Y., as far north as Sherbrooke, as far west as Schenectady
(and beyond), and as far northeast as Saint John.  That's a big coverage
area, obviously.  Does that give 'BZ the prize as having the largest daytime
coverage on the East Coast, or are there other stations that can broadcast
even farther?

-Doug

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sid Schweiger" <sid@wrko.com>
To: "(newsgroup) Boston-Radio-Interest"
<boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org>
Sent: Wednesday, November 12, 2008 7:02 AM
Subject: RE: What if WBZ had gone 500KW????

>>were other clear channels trying to go to 500KW?<<

Most famously, WLW/Cincinnati on 700 kHz.  They ran with it for a short
while, but it didn't last.

Legend has it that, during their half-megawatt operation, you could stand
almost ten feet from the chain-link fence surrounding the tower and draw an
arc from a screwdriver in your hand to the fence.  That's a whole lotta RF.

Sid Schweiger
IT Manager, Entercom New England
WAAF/WEEI/WEEI-FM/WKAF
WMKK/WRKO/WVEI/WVEI-FM