Radio in Ireland and the UK.

Garrett Wollman wollman@bimajority.org
Mon Nov 10 23:31:05 EST 2008

<<On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 19:25:28 -0600, "Kevin Vahey" <kvahey@comcast.net> said:

> I recall the Soviet Union has a monster signal up around 1400 that
> could be heard clearly in Ireland. I was told it transmitted using 2.5
> million watts. (eek)

There was an article in WRTH about this facility about a decade ago
(i.e., the last time I bought a WRTH).  It's an electronically
steerable 12-tower array located outside St. Petersburg.  The actual
power was fairly low, by European standards -- only 100 or 250 kW.
But it's a 13-dB antenna!

The transmitter was last used for Voice of Russia broadcasts to
Scandinavia, if I remember correctly.

-GAWollman

PS: Greetings from North Hollywood!