WTIC must switch to night pattern earlier

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Sat Nov 8 22:09:55 EST 2008

Paul B. Walker, Jr. wrote:
> Interfered with?
>
> The way I read it was that it had to do with WOAP wanting a power upgrade
> and something like that.. I think, lol.
>
> I only skimmed the document.

Here's what's going on:

WTIC can still remain on its daytime non-directional facility until
Dallas sunset. However, the FCC has decided that it (and other stations
in a similar situation, which isn't many of them) now only gets
protection for its nighttime skywave signal, not for the "extra" skywave
coverage it enjoyed for that hour or so between Hartford and Dallas sunset.

That opened up a little hole for the Michigan station on 1080 to upgrade.

In reality, it probably won't affect WTIC's coverage very much, and not
at all within the station's home market. But it sets an interesting
precedent for a further breakdown of skywave protection. It will be
interesting to see where this all leads.