Operating in the public interest for the local area

Alan Tolz atolz@comcast.net
Sat Nov 8 10:29:49 EST 2008

> On another subject concerning radio's competition, how will the Wi-Wi
> startups work technically and of course I'll bet that at the beginning at
> least they won't pay copyright fees although they are required to.
> http://www.soundexchange.com/

Internet Radio is pretty far beyond the startup phase, although the RIAA,
and their collection arm, Soundexchange, are trying to kill the baby in the
crib. And the stations ARE paying, eventhough they are also fighting the
ridiculous fee structure and rationale for same.     If the state of the
American auto industry is any indicator, it will be at least a decade before
there's a critical mass of wi-fi enabled cars to threaten radio's use there,
though from my personal experience, I no longer use an AM/FM tuner on my
main home system...I run a computer through the amp and tune in to "radio"
online.  Sadly, ARB can't really get a handle on how to treat this from a
ratings perspective - diary or PPM - especially if stations choose to
simulcast rather than try to monetize their internet streams separately.