fairness doctrine

Don A donald_astelle@yahoo.com
Thu Nov 6 16:04:37 EST 2008

> Am I mistaken, or did not talk show hosts such as Jerry Williams, Steve
> Fredericks, Avi Nelson, Paul Benzaquin, etc., operate their programs just
> fine during the time the Fairness Doctrine was in force? It seems to me
> that
> Jerry in particular was just as boisterous, opinionated, and entertaining
> during the Viet Nam war and Watergate as is Rush Limbaugh now.

No you are correct.   They did just fine operating with the FD in effect.

It's become a talking-point now that this will "stifle free speech".  And
people are parroting the line.

It also appears to me that the years of deregulation have brought some in
the business to believe that the company owns the airwaves....not the
public.