cable and DT sub-channels

Garrett Wollman wollman@bimajority.org
Sat Nov 1 19:01:19 EDT 2008

<<On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 14:16:27 -0700, kenwvt@gmail.com said:

> I believe the subchannels are part of the must carry rule. Notice how
> Comcast also carries 7.2 (weather - soon to be sports subchannel).

Channel 7 is retrans consent, not must-carry, so whatever carriage
they have on Comcast is the result of private negotiation.  (The same
is generally true of other network affiliates.  The networks have used
this with their O&Os to force other network-owned services into the
basic tier of cable systems in those markets.)

-GAWollman