Vertical medium-wave transmitting antennas--WAS Re: WBZ/Westinghouse/Springfield, MA

Peter peterh5322@rattlebrain.com
Fri Mar 28 19:12:29 EDT 2008

On Mar 28, 2008, at 3:34 PM, Dan.Strassberg wrote:

> Since DAs just about demand vertical radiators (and the
> WFLA/WSUN antenna used a pair of them), the vertical radiator had to
> have been invented by 1931.

Directional (transmitting) antennas (DAs) as we are herein using this
"word of art" do demand component vertical radiators, but _directive_
(transmitting) antennas _do not_ demand such vertical radiators.

I can think of at least three, if not four, Class As which became
broken-down, or had Class As allocated to other countries, on account
of their retaining "long wire" radiators far too long ... long after
the performance, and, indeed, the preference for vertical radiators
had been resoundingly proved.

And, in one case, a Class B which was thereby made possible, was
sited in an immediately abutting "state", and, for all practical
purposes was wholly contained within the "state" in which the Class A
(formerly a de-facto Class I-A) was, in fact, licensed.