WBZ/Westinghouse/Springfield, MA

Dale H. Cook radiotest@cox.net
Fri Mar 28 15:05:07 EDT 2008

At 10:42 PM 3/27/2008, Doug Drown wrote:

>Did WBZA use at least one of the twin towers right up until the
>station's demise?

I'm belatedly catching up on this thread - I've had a T1 interconnect
between two studio facilities down since late Monday.

Doug, they always used both towers, but only as supports - the towers
were not hot. They held a flattop transmitting antenna, which was
standard for a '20s installation. It wasn't until the '30s that
series-fed and shunt-fed verticals came into use. For an illustration
of a flattop see the graphic at:

http://plymouthcolony.net/starcity/radios/radtop.html

What the graphic does not show is that at one point off-center the
horizontal wires were connected together and attached to a vertical
wire dropping down to the transmitter.

Dale H. Cook, Chief Engineer, Centennial Broadcasting,
Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA - WZZI / WZZU / WLNI / WLEQ
http://plymouthcolony.net/starcity/starcity.html