Old Vacation TV observations from way back

The Seacoast theseacoast@maine.rr.com
Thu Mar 27 18:30:25 EDT 2008

When I lived in East Boston, with a roof antenna on top of a 3 Family and
with a mast of 20' on top of that, I got the following at any time:

2,4,5,  2 channel 6's (Fall River?/Portland),7,9,10,11,12,21,23 or 24
(religious), 25, 27, 33, 38, 44, 50, 56, 58, 66, and 68.  On good skip
nights, I also got in, very well:

2-New York, 2 channel 3's-Hartford/?, 8-Poland Springs, 13-Portland, and a
snowy station from Philly

-----Original Message-----
From: David Tomm [mailto:nostaticatall@charter.net]
Sent: Thursday, March 27, 2008 6:48 AM
To: Doug Drown
Cc: Boston Radio Interest Board
Subject: Re: Old Vacation TV observations from way back

I grew up in Colchester, CT, a small town in the eastern part of the
state that is about halfway between Boston and New York.  As a
result, I was able to pull in a ton of TV stations using the rotor-
powered roof antenna.  The locals were 3, 8, 24, 30 and 53.  Going
due east, I got 6, 10, 12 & 36 from Providence.  Boston tended to be
spotty, but 25, 27, 38 and 56 were regulars with 44 and 68 occasional
catches.  2, 4, 5 and 7 were fairly reliable, but 2&4 less so with 3
only 30 miles up the road.  22 & 40 and occasionally 57 from
Springfield were regulars.  Then you had New York.  Spinning the
rotor to the southwest, the VHF's came in regularly 2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 11
and 13 but the UHF's didn't.  E-Skip in the summer tended to make it
difficult to watch anything due to so many stations booming in but
since I was a geeky DX kid back then I didn't mind a bit!

Dave Tomm
"Mike Thomas"