Old Vacation TV observations from way back

Lou lspin@comcast.net
Thu Mar 27 11:31:20 EDT 2008

And wasn't it always a bit more fun to watch channels through the snowy and
ghosty pictures, knowing that they were far, far away.  That was a big part
of the enjoyment of watching Uncle Gus and/or Salty Brine from our apartment
in Boston's North End.  Although, sometimes they came in better than the
locals depending on all the reflections from buildings, Logan Airport and
the Coast Guard Base down the street.

-Lou

-----Original Message-----
From: boston-radio-interest-bounces@tsornin.BostonRadio.org
[mailto:boston-radio-interest-bounces@tsornin.BostonRadio.org] On Behalf Of
David Tomm
Subject: Re: Old Vacation TV observations from way back

I grew up in Colchester, CT, a small town in the eastern part of the
state that is about halfway between Boston and New York.  As a
result, I was able to pull in a ton of TV stations using the rotor-
powered roof antenna.  The locals were 3, 8, 24, 30 and 53.  Going
due east, I got 6, 10, 12 & 36 from Providence.  Boston tended to be
spotty, but 25, 27, 38 and 56 were regulars with 44 and 68 occasional
catches.  2, 4, 5 and 7 were fairly reliable, but 2&4 less so with 3
only 30 miles up the road.  22 & 40 and occasionally 57 from
Springfield were regulars.  Then you had New York.  Spinning the
rotor to the southwest, the VHF's came in regularly 2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 11
and 13 but the UHF's didn't.  E-Skip in the summer tended to make it
difficult to watch anything due to so many stations booming in but
since I was a geeky DX kid back then I didn't mind a bit!

Dave Tomm
"Mike Thomas"