Old Vacation TV observations from way back

Peter Q. George radiojunkie3@yahoo.com
Wed Mar 26 21:13:35 EDT 2008

--- Doug Drown <revdoug1@verizon.net> wrote:

> >Who can forget Marty Engstrom
> from the mountain with the weather and his signature
> smile at the end!
>
> Marty is still with us; he's been retired several
> years.  He had a big fan
> club, you know, and IIRC they had a celebration in
> his honor shortly after
> he got through.

Marty was favorite for many people, for years.
Channel 8 was always there, even south of Boston (on a
good day).  It was fun watching Marty from the
mountain, even 200 miles away!  What a time!

> >Even WCAX/3 from Burlington would show up from
> time-to-time.
>
> I was visiting some people in West Forks, Maine, one
> day a number of years
> ago; West Forks is between Bingham and Jackman, on
> the main highway to
> Quebec City.  They lived way up on a hill.  They had
> an antenna rotor and
> could get both WCAX, which came in very well, and
> CHSJ-TV in Saint John,
> which was quite watchable but a little snowy.  The
> two cities are close to
> 500 miles apart.   Bangor, Sherbrooke and Quebec
> City came in as though they
> were next door.   -Doug

That's amazing!  They probably had the most variety of
TV stations anywhere.  That I wish I could have seen.
Then again, I took a portable color set up Whiteface
Mountain (Wilmington, NY) and had several channels
"three to four stations deep" on both VHF and UHF.
Who needed cable?! ;)!

-Pete

Peter Q. George (K1XRB)
Whitman, Massachusetts