Kid's Show Hosts (was: WMUR)

Maureen Carney m_carney@yahoo.com
Mon Mar 24 14:25:52 EDT 2008

Most of the TV kid's hosts didn't set out to do that. It's what they had to do to stay employed. Some were clowns or children's entertainers but many were station announcers assigned to that particular show in the course of their duties. The fact that so many are so fondly remembered 40-50 years later is testiment to the fact they were professionals. The good ones leared to live with it and like it to some degree, or to create charaters that didn't rely on a studio audience.

----- Original Message ----
From: Peter Q. George <radiojunkie3@yahoo.com>
To: Doug Drown <revdoug1@verizon.net>; Bud Yacomb <outofthebusiness@gmail.com>; boston-radio-interest@lists.BostonRadio.org
Sent: Monday, March 24, 2008 1:56:39 PM
Subject: Re: WMUR

--- Doug Drown <revdoug1@verizon.net> wrote:

> >I have often wondered whether Uncle Gus actually
> hated kids or if parents
> >who brought kids to be in the audience of a
> low-budget TV show generally
> raised brats.

>From what I saw from watching Channel 9 over the
years, Gus Bernier seemed to be a very down-to-earth
person, at least it seemed that way on the air.  He
was an ICON in New Hampshire television.  Even down
here in the Boston area, people knew about Channel 9
and Uncle Gus.

As for Bob "Big Brother" Emery, this was not the first
time I've heard about him not really "big" on kids.
I'm sure everybody has had a bad day with a bunch of
kids (especially when they're really bratty).

Who knows....  since both Bob Emery and Gus Bernier
are now deceased, we'll never know.

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs