the nasty dance

A. Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Sun Mar 23 01:24:53 EDT 2008

On 22 Mar 2008 at 23:52, Keating Willcox wrote:

> I think radio is the perfect medium for him to get his message out.

It once was, but I'm not sure it is now.  People won't listen to
speeches with a lot of comprehensive, specific programs.  As John
Kerry found out.  People want the kind of inspiring generalities that
Obama has been giving them.  That, of course, results in criticism
from the other candidates that he's short on specifics -- they are
too, of course.

Campaigns traditionally have position papers on various issues, which
some people interested in particular issues may even bother to read.
Now the position papers are on the Internet, with all the details
that a political campaign, without access to the government's
planning resources can come up with.

Nixon had a better idea in 1968.  He used radio speeches to discuss
particular topics in detail.  It was a good idea, and it worked for
him.  But it wasn't because people listened to radio, it was because
other media covered it.  The text of his speeches appeared in the New
York Times.  Summaries or excerpts, or sometimes the full text,
appeared in other papers, and there were summaries on the evening
news shows.  Would that happen today?