Burns and Jackson

Keating Willcox kwillcox@wnsh.com
Sat Mar 22 23:43:10 EDT 2008

At 03:49 PM 3/22/2008, you wrote:
>What do you nice folks recall about the Gene Burns show?  How would
>you classify him-- rightie, moderate, liberal, or what?  I am trying
>to find an adjective or two that describes his show but it's been
>ages since I've heard him.  My recollection is that he was very
>well-informed and very down-to earth...
>
>Similarly, do any of you recall Michael Jackson-- not the weird
>singer but the talk show host with the British accent?  I am working
>on a book about talk shows, as many of you know, and there are a
>couple of facts I need to nail down... . I only vaguely recall
>Jackson--- he was syndicated for a while, and when I heard him, he
>seemed to be a very civilized and literate talker-- no screaming or
>outrage.  Reminded me of Brudnoy a little bit, although I think
>their politics were different.  Am I recalling correctly?

Gene Burns was an active Libertarian, always wanting the vote totals
for Libertarian candidates to be announced during election coverage.
Both he and Jackson had great shows. Brudnoy was a very prolix show,
in the style of William F Buckley. We have been blessed by having
such talented voices on our airwaves. Again a reminder, John
Bachelor, the best of all, is now available Sun PM on ABC and later
on a CA station, both available on the internet. John still has his
amazing music, best in the business.

Keating Willcox