Red Sox radio in Portland?

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Sat Mar 22 16:55:11 EDT 2008

Dan Billings wrote:

>> The Sox media guide lists the following Portland stations as carrying
>> Sox games
>> WJAE WJAB WJJB and WLOB plus WLOB-FM Rumford.
>>
>> This can't be right.
>
> It is.  They are all owned by JJ Jeffrey.

Well, it's ALMOST right - of course, there isn't actually a WJAB in
Portland and hasn't been for many a decade. Those calls are held by a
noncommercial FM in Huntsville, Alabama (though I hear JJ has tried to
get them back from time to time.)

So the combination of WJAE 1440 Portland, WJJB 900 Brunswick and WJJB-FM
95.5 Topsham is "The Big Jab," known on-air as "WJAB" even though it
doesn't really have those calls.

Except that 900 just changed calls from WJJB to WWBK, and 1440 will
apparently soon change from WJAE to WJJB.

Confused yet? Let me tell you which Sox games will be on 680 and which
ones will be on 850... :-)