Gene Burns, Michael Jackson

Paul Hopfgarten paul@derrynh.net
Sat Mar 22 15:43:02 EDT 2008

I remember that if he did a time check at 10:10 (rare), 11:11 or 12:12, he'd
call it a "fun time natural" IIRC.

He always "Transited the Meridian" at 12:00 N as well.....

-Paul Hopfgarten
-Derry NH

-----Original Message-----
From: boston-radio-interest-bounces@tsornin.BostonRadio.org
[mailto:boston-radio-interest-bounces@tsornin.BostonRadio.org] On Behalf Of
Bill O'Neill
Sent: Saturday, March 22, 2008 3:31 PM
To: Donna Halper
Cc: boston-radio-interest@lists.BostonRadio.org
Subject: Re: Gene Burns, Michael Jackson

Donna Halper wrote:
> What do you nice folks recall about the Gene Burns show?  How would
> you classify him-- rightie, moderate, liberal, or what?  I am trying
> to find an adjective or two that describes his show but it's been ages
> since I've heard him.  My recollection is that he was very
> well-informed and very down-to earth...

Burns was a self-proclaimed Libertarian.  He was clearly outspoken on
issues of personal responsibility. He had a rough spot for anyone who
spoke of their faith (e.g., felt bad for anyone who said, "but for the
grace of God go I."  That would put Gene into conniptions every time.)
Despite his temper tantrums and through them all he was quite enjoyable
to listen to.

Burns was formatically, construct-wise, near-perfect, ran the tightest
clock, and sold the calls and station better than anyone I'd ever
heard.  And he was a stickler for 'transiting the meridian and entering
the afternoon incarnation" of [the show].

Bill O'Neill
//