WMUR/WXPO and CBS (Re: WMUR)

Peter Q. George radiojunkie3@yahoo.com
Sat Mar 22 09:55:38 EDT 2008

There was some talk about WMUR (Channel 9) being
originally a CBS affiliate and eventually a full-time
ABC affiliate.  Not being around at the time of WMUR's
premiere, I cannot prove or disprove it.  The Channel
9 of today totally bears little resemblance of the
station run by United Television or The Voice and
Vision Of New Hampshire.  Today, WMUR-TV (now owned by
Hearst) is the "station of record" during the New
Hampshire Primaries.  It's a full state-of-the-art
station, one of the best facilities available.  That
was not always the case as you can see on those
YouTube video files mentioned earlier.

Apparently those early local color broadcasts (1973)
were made using some very "barely broadcast quality"
industrial cameras.  I remember the look of Channel 9,
compared to the Boston stations at the time.  No
contest.  It would be another 8 years, in 1981, before
WMUR finally had a truly broadcast quality set up with
real good color cameras and a TBC that actually
stabilized the picture.  United ran that station down
to the ground.  I'm sure the great local folks at WMUR
wanted to have a station they could be proud of.  In
1981, under new ownership, they finally got their
wish.  It really looked great.

The story about CBS and New Hampshire did not stop
there. The old WXPO (Channel 50) tried THREE times in
1972 and again in 1973 to get CBS affiliation.  Since
the loss of Channel 5's CBS affiliation on 3/19/72,
when Channel 7 (WNAC-TV) went with CBS, many New
Hampshire viewers lost CBS programming as Channel 7's
signal paled with the old WHDH-TV, Channel 5.  I
recently saw one of the original exhibits/packages
being proposed to CBS executives to get Channel 50 on
the CBS Network.  One carrot sent to CBS, upon CBS
affiliation, was to have Channel 50 apply for the
then-unused Channel 21 allocation in Concord and to
run the new Channel 21 as a satellite, thus providing
full-coverage throughout New Hampshire.  Seemed like a
nifty idea.  CBS said NO.  I'm sure Channel 7 and RKO
General made a stink about this and effectively killed
the idea.  Channel 50 ran a test transmission on July
17, 1973 in the overnight hours.  More than likely
this was to show CBS executives that Channel 50 could
be of benefit for CBS in New Hampshire.  This would be
the last transmission of WXPO.  When CBS said NO,
Channel 50 decided it was time to GO.

Today Channel 50 is occupied (until 2/17/09) by WZMY,
a MY-TV affiliate and Channel 21 (briefly and
ironically  an unsuccessful CBS affiliate as WNHT) is
now an ION Networks O and O.

73,

-Peter Q. George (K1XRB)
 Whitman, Massachusetts