WMUR

Kevin Vahey kvahey@comcast.net
Fri Mar 21 12:08:36 EDT 2008

In 1968 Channel 9 did carry the conventions at all and instead ran
movies and got mail from as far away from Connecticut with viewers
happy to have another option.

Sometimes channel 9 made news by accident.

In June of 1968 the transmitter engineer fell asleep and when ABC came
back with coverage that RFK had been shot the station was the only one
on at 3 AM. We used to feed the network to the transmitter when we
were off the air just to keep the STL happy.

Then in 1972 the reverse happened. The transmitter engineer again fell
asleep and heard the national anthem and happily shut the station
down...at 9:30 PM

It was during the Olympics and somebody from the US had won a medal.

One could write a book about 1819 Elm St