report: NBC to sell Hartford, Miami TVs

Chuck Igo chuckigo@maine.rr.com
Fri Mar 21 10:53:57 EDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kevin Vahey" <kvahey@comcast.net>

> Bruce is still doing sports? He has been at 6 forever it seems.
>
> 8 was always perceived as a Lewiston station by those in Portland. It
> is overlooked that Lewiston is the second largest city in Maine not
> Bangor.

Bruce is still there - doing his thing and having fun since 1977.  He does a
great feature on high school athletes - The Varsity Club.  And the other
three - Pat Callaghan (with channel 6 since 1979), Cindy Williams (anchor
since 1989) and Joe Cupo (also since 1979) are racking up the
years-of-service, too.

Lewiston has been getting more attention from the other stations, with WGME
having a regular presence there nightly.

And for a time, WMTW had their broadcast studios right on Congress Street
(across from Monument Square) in the heart of Portland, with street-level,
window-views for passers-by (and thankfully, in this case, excluding errant
minivans - unlike Chicago).

Again - I'm not as well versed in our local TV media as I should be, owing
to the ongoing battle to sneak in sleep and naps between work and real-life
things that seemingly happen "after supper for normal people."  I try to
catch the news at least once a week on days when I can wrest the remote from
the gnarled fingers of any one of my children.

--Chuck Igo