report: NBC to sell Hartford, Miami TVs

chuckigo@maine.rr.com chuckigo@maine.rr.com
Fri Mar 21 07:06:06 EDT 2008

---- Kevin Vahey <kvahey@comcast.net> wrote:
> Has H-A been able to make any kind of a dent in the Portland market?
> I think they moved everything to Portland when they bought WMTW 4
> years ago.

I can't say that the status quo has changed on local TV here with the pecking order pretty much along the lines of WCSH, WGME and WMTW.  But it's not for a lack of trying, as the channel 8 crew is full of folks who know their way around a newsroom, including longtime TV vet Dick Gosselin.  But Dick has always been adept at many aspects of his craft, especially videography and editing, as well as being very much at ease on camera.  He's even talented when it comes to getting the stupid microwave boom to get back into its recessed holder in the mobile news machine when it stubbornly doesn't want to work as promised (he lives next door to me and we've spent an evening or two with flashlights and hammers)

WCSH has the advantage of a state-wide presence with the WLBZ operation working in tandem.  WGME has the legacy (still extremely surprising how many "viewers" still call them WGAN-TV).  and both WGME & WCSH do a 5p-630p evening block, and both produce 10pm newscasts that air on local UHF stations (WPFO and WPXT, respectively).

WMTW has Oprah at 4pm, but then most likely looses out to the 5pm news things when they roll out Doctor Phil at 5.

- -Chuck Igo