WMUR

Mark Watson markwats@comcast.net
Thu Mar 20 21:10:52 EDT 2008

Sid Schweiger wrote:

 When I first went to work for WGIR back in the late 1970s I was told that
Eaton would not spring for a proper color transmitting setup.  The reason
their color pictures were so awful was that he was sending a color signal
through an exciter designed for monochrome.

  Wasn't WMUR one of the last ABC affiliates in the country to go color?

  I heard a story once, don't know if it's true or false (Kevin Vahey may be
able to confirm/deny), but back in the days when WMUR was still all black &
white, they had a couple of borrowed color cameras for a telethon or other
special event, and while they had them they used them for one "Uncle Gus"
hour.

  For a few years in the early and mid 70's my family spent a week each year
vacationing at Newfound Lake in Bristol NH. The only 2 stations we could
receive were a snowy WMUR and a less snowy WMTW Channel 8 from Mt.
Washington. WMTW had slightly better offerings than WMUR, but WMUR was more
fun to watch, not only for "Uncle Gus" but for the low budget news. Loved it
when the film would break and fall off the screen during the closing credits
of "Timmy & Lassie" while booth anouncer (and the sportscaster on the 11PM
news) Doug Edwards told us "the preceding program came to you on film".

Mark Watson