AM Aux sites / towers (WCBS)

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Tue Mar 18 07:07:47 EDT 2008

Thanks, Dave! I had not checked CDBS itself for WCBS's aux CP; I was
relying on Bob Carpetner's AMSTNS program, which, before a few
database updates (there is usually an update every week), had shown
the CP. Bob did write to me that the FCC had done something funny with
the database that caused some records to disappear and I suspect that
the very record I wanted was one of those. I should not have assumed
that if AMSTNS did not show a record, neither would the record show up
with the other WCBS records at fcc.gov. That said, neither would
AMSTNS have provided the kind of detail you found in the body of the
application itself.

I am surprised, however, that at the very high critical angles in
question (WCBS is only 155 airline miles from WAMG), with a
non-top-loaded 300' aux tower (~96 degrees at 880), protection to WAMG
would limit WCBS to so close to half of the power it is allowed from
its 207-degree main tower. I had thought that half power into an
~60-degree tower produced high-angle radiation equivalent to that from
an ~200-degree tower. In WCBS's case, even the old top-loaded 200' aux
tower must have been equivalent to quite a bit more than 60 degrees.
Remember that the tower also served WFAN, so I suspect that the 200'
tower was top loaded to no less than 72 degrees at 880 in order to
achieve reasonable efficiency at 660, which would require an
electrical height of at least 54 degrees at 660. And as Glen Clark
pointed out yesterday, the base impedance for such a short tower is so
low that, with the combined power that WCBS and WFAN would pump into
it, the design and maintenance of the ground system must have
presented non-trivial problems.

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367