Prov.: Oldies 790; WPRO AM simulcast on 99.7

Eli Polonsky elipolo@earthlink.net
Tue Mar 11 09:48:06 EDT 2008

> > From: "Kevin Vahey" <kvahey@comcast.net>
> CC: "\(newsgroup\) Boston-Radio-Interest"
> 	<boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org>
> To: "Bob Nelson" <raccoonradio@mail.com>
> Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 08:36:07 -0400
> Subject: Re: Prov.: Oldies 790; WPRO AM simulcast on 99.7
>
> True Oldies on AM won't work as WWBB is too entrenched.

WWBB has updated to a Classic Hits format, mainly 1970s music
with just a couple of late '60s warhorse hits per hour, and
'80s hits mixed in. It's really no longer an Oldies format.

I'd imagine that 790 is just going to plug in Scott Shannon's
"True Oldies Channel" satellite. It's geared toward an older
audience who grew up listening to AM radio. It's heaviest on
hit oldies of the mid-'60s, still dabbles in some hits of the
late '50s, and goes up through only the very early '70s.

It certainly won't get any sigificant numbers, but it will
get a smaller older audience who used to listen to WWBB for
'50s and '60s oldies who felt "abandoned" by them as they
aged out of their desireable sponsor demographics and could
no longer hear music of their era on WWBB. It's also a very
low cost way for them to keep the station afloat.

EP