Prov.: Oldies 790; WPRO AM simulcast on 99.7

Kevin Vahey kvahey@comcast.net
Tue Mar 11 08:36:07 EDT 2008

The irony is Citadel gave Entercom the idea for trying sports on FM in
Rhode Island when WSKO-FM was hatched in 2002. At the time the main
reason for SKO-FM was to give the Yankees a home. Sports editor at the
Providence Journal knew WSKO was doomed the day EEI-FM arrived.
Citadel took a major hit not only because WSKO suffered but lost the
cash cow Red Sox on WPRO. Entercom got this right.

So ESPN loses one of their oldest affiliates and what happens to the
Yankees? True Oldies on AM won't work as WWBB is too entrenched.

Just running ESPN Radio with no local would do as well as automated oldies.

I hope Mayor Buddy has somehing lined up as he has done nothing to help WPRO.