enjoying the new Jerry Williams book

kvahey@comcast.net kvahey@comcast.net
Sun Mar 9 11:03:13 EDT 2008

BTW we have had this discussion before of who as the first to put
callers on the air and the book hints that it happened in 1934 at WJSV
in Washington which I assume would later be known as WTOP. The station
put a young man in a studio at the transmitter and he invited people
to call in so he could find out how far the signal went. He would hold
the telephone up to the mike so listeners could hear the callers.
Walter Winchell heard him at a party and called in himself at 4:30 AM
and then mentioned the show in his newspaper column which was said to
be read by more people than anyone. The announcer was quicky hired by
CBS in New York. His name? Arthur Godfrey.