Moe Lauzier smells age discrimination in his firing

Kevin Vahey kvahey@comcast.net
Thu Mar 6 12:08:56 EST 2008

The Herald today looks at length at Entercom's firing of Moe Lauzier
and hints that Jason Wolfe is not being entirely truthful on the
matter.

http://bostonherald.com/business/media/view.bg?&articleid=1078136&format=&page=2&listingType=media#articleFull

Wolfe sent an email finally to Lauzier snd said

"We do have several companies that are willing to spend extremely
significant dollars to take over certain hours on the station, and
that, nothing more, was the reason I chose to go in this direction."

However there were no infomercials in place last week

During Lauzier's old morning slot last Saturday, repeat shows of Tom
Finneran, Reese Hopkins and Howie Carr aired. There was no paid
programming.

Julie Kahn also sent an email to Lauzier
"Sadly, your tenure and talent had you earning a higher hourly wage
then all other part-time on-air talent. We simply could not afford to
pay your rate vis-a-vis the revenue that the show and day generates."

Meanwhile longtime WEEI producer Rene Marchando may also be the victim
of age. Rene is 57.

What is really stunning about this is how Jason did not have the guts
to fire Moe face to face and instead had the producer do it during his
last show. Jason seems to forget the way he was let go by Tom Star
years ago when Tom vanished into the night leaving unpaid staffers and
landlords wondering what happened.

However in fairness the Herald article also hints that Kahn is under
major pressure from the home office in Philadelphia to cut costs.

This Red Sox contract is killing them.