Newspaper survival (was: Can Citadel Broadcasting survive?)

Dave Doherty dave@skywaves.net
Sun Mar 2 22:32:51 EST 2008

A year or two ago, I read that all the radio revenue in the LA market
combined was less than the LA Times was getting for classified alone.

That reminds me of the days in the early 1970s when I worked at WGY. They
pulled in about 85% of the radio revenue for the entire market. Everybody
else was scratching around for whatever they could get. Not ten years later,
they were surpassed by any number of FMs.  They are still on the air, of
course, but the business model is totally different.

Similarly, I suspect that each major market has one uber-paper that hauls in
the vast majority of the newspaper revenue:  NY Times, Boston Globe,
Washington Post, LA Times, Chicago Tribune, Atlanta Constitution, etc. Those
papers probably take in more on legal notices than some of the biggest radio
billers, and that alone may keep them alive.

But newspapers have huge distribution expenses. Radio stations don't have
hundred million dollar presses fed with millions of dollars worth of paper
and ink tended 24/7 by small crews of people who produce the physical
bundles of paper every day , then pass them to large numbers of people who
literally drive them to tens of thousands of distribution points. The total
cost of operation of even a 50kW AM transmitter is a vanishly small fraction
of the cost of operating even a modern, efficient, printing plant and
getting the physical product into the hands of the readers.

So while WGY was able to survive by cutting costs, the newspaper model for
all but the uber-papers would seem to have no similar survival mode
available.

-Dave Doherty
 Skywaves, Inc.