News Content

Bill O'Neill billohno@gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 19:07:42 EST 2008

The scaling back of good old fashioned beat and political reporting has
had a big impact on the diminishing of local news content for a long
time, especially local Boston city news.  Even in the 80s I was
surprised at the paucity of reporting on the Boston City Counsel and
Boston School Board.  Forced busing faded in the 70s and nothing seemed
to take its place.  When I read Howie Carr's book last year one question
that kept creeping in was "Why didn't we know about this stuff?" other
than the key events that would involve court activity.  Regional news
seemed to take more of the leads while smaller cities like Lowell and
Haverhill had the benefit of their local signals providing hometown
political news.

Bill O'Neill

--
I could tell my parents hated me. My bath toys were a toaster and a radio.
/Rodney Dangerfield/