Newspaper survival

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Sun Mar 2 17:55:57 EST 2008

kvahey@comcast.net wrote:
> Sid
>
> Absolutely in fact the last pure evening paper in the US just folded a
> couple of months ago in Cincinnati. Their circulation had dropped to
> 20,000.

Not disputing Kevin's general thrust, but as sad as the demise of the
Cincy Post was, it wasn't quite the end of the afternoon paper. In fact,
another one, the Albuquerque Tribune, just breathed its last a week ago.

There are still a few others left standing, under joint operating
agreements (the Fort Wayne News-Sentinel in Indiana, for instance, or
the Tucson Citizen) or as co-owned sister stations to morning dailies
(the Wheeling, West Virginia News-Register).

I'm pretty sure there are no longer any communities that have a morning
daily and a competing afternoon daily under entirely separate ownership.
In most such cases, the former afternoon daily has gone to morning
publication at some point (i.e. the Honolulu Star-Bulletin).