Newspaper survival (was: Can Citadel Broadcasting survive?)

kvahey@comcast.net kvahey@comcast.net
Sun Mar 2 17:03:14 EST 2008

Pat Purcell has been reported to have put the Herald's land in the
South End up for sale.

In Chicago the Sun-Times is about to go under. Granted they were
robbed blind by Conrad Black but they have in the past few weeks
contracted with the Tribune to print and distribute the paper
including home delivery. The paper itself is expected to be bought by
Drew Singleton and look at how he has slashed the Lowell Sun and
Berkshire Eagle.

What I find amusing is how TV stations say news is so expensive to
produce today. Really?

40 years ago stations had to use film and processing and editing costs
were enormous. Then you had full studio crews working cameras, mike
booms, and all kinds of hidden costs. The networks spent a small
fortune on shipping film to NY and then having it rushed to Manhattan
by motorcycles.

Jack Crowley who worked at the old Channel 5 and then 7 as a film
cameraman once told me his bosses were concerned at how much wasted
film he shot at a Sox game and told him to just shoot the runs. LOL