Newspaper survival (was: Can Citadel Broadcasting survive?)

kvahey@comcast.net kvahey@comcast.net
Sun Mar 2 16:19:48 EST 2008

We see it in sports especially. The Herald would be unable to keep
their sportswriters if they did not have the secondary income provided
by radio and tv. The Globe had to work out a complicated arrangement
with NESN that they partly own to avoid having to buyout Bob Ryan who
they didn't want to lose but NY wanted him off the books at the Globe.

The Times owns a piece of NESN and now Ryan has the same free lance
status that Bud Collins has had for years. Felger and Callahan have
the same status and I wouldn't be surprised if the same applies to
Howie Carr.

The Providence Journal could never afford to keep Sean McAdam if it
wasn't for his outside income.

Lawrence Eagle-Tribune couldn't afford to keep Russ Conway who was the
most connected hockey writer in the country. Jim Baker does his old
Herald media column in Nashua.

Monica Collins has vanished completely.

One huge problem for newspapers now and TV news as well. The
instutional memory is gone.