Newspaper survival (was: Can Citadel Broadcasting survive?)

Garrett Wollman wollman@bimajority.org
Sun Mar 2 13:38:34 EST 2008

<<On Sun, 2 Mar 2008 12:26:19 -0500, kvahey@comcast.net said:

> Ask yourself this question? When was the last time you saw a newspaper
> headline about a story you didn't already know?

Pretty much every time I look at the front page of the MetroWest Daily
News, for one.  (Which is about twice a week -- whenever I'm in the
supermarket.)

I still don't have time to read the thing.  These days, I don't even
have time to read the national magazines to which I still subscribe --
I have more than a year's worth of back /New Yorker/s and /Atlantic/s
that I haven't had time to read yet.  (And, importantly, I don't have
any more time to read them on-line than I do the dead-tree editions.)

I would love to have more time to read -- particularly the Sunday
papers, which aren't all that time-sensitive (most of the good stuff
is in preprints) and tend to have the best reporting.

-GAWollman