Can Citadel Broadcasting survive?

David Tomm nostaticatall@charter.net
Sat Mar 1 22:50:16 EST 2008

The major market stations Citadel acquired from ABC/Disney are the
ones that are the least profitable.  Many of the people let go are
longtime employees with larger salaries.  Those are cuts Citadel made
in their smaller markets long ago.  Besides, local business isn't
down as badly as national, so smaller markets aren't in as bad of
shape as the majors are.  Some stations like WPLJ, WLS and WJZW in DC
have languished with mediocre to poor ratings for quite some time.
Why Citadel didn't make more changes right after they bought these
properties is beyond me.  They're long overdue.

If the red ink continues, they'll make cuts in the smaller markets as
well, although there really isn't much left to cut.  Look at Citadel/
Worcester.  WXLO has live talent throughout most dayparts, but that
station is their cash cow, and the jocks probably don't make all that
much.  WWFX is automated outside of mornings and they just hired a
new morning guy who probably isn't costing them a lot.  WORC-FM is
automated as well.  I'm sure they have a bare bones support staff by
now and a small sales staff.  Cutting a couple of small market
salaries isn't going to help Citadel's bottom line.

Providence could feel some pain.  They've got Buddy Cianci on WPRO
and he hasn't moved the ratings needle all that much since he got
there.  I'm sure he's not working cheap.  You have several staffers
at 790/99.7 the Score, which gets trounced in the ratings by the WEEI
simulcast on 103.7.  You have morning guy Giovanni at PRO-FM who has
been with the station for over 30 years along with longtime PD Tony
Bristol.  Both of those guys must be making toward the top of the
scale for that market.  Even WWLI has several longtimers on their
staff.  That cluster could get whacked pretty badly.

-Dave Tomm
"Mike Thomas"