Jefferson Kay Audition Tape and Promotional Flyer

Kevin Vahey kvahey@comcast.net
Sat Jun 28 15:17:48 EDT 2008

It wasn't unusual for a station with an inferior signal beating the
big boys in the COL. New York had WMCA, Chicago WCFL, Toronto CKFH and
of course Boston with WMEX and later WRKO.

In Buffalo WYSL at 1400 still was able to cover the city with 250
watts at night and KB simply wasn't as popular. Daytime my friends
would also tune in CHUM and CKLW.

BZ really lost it's way for almost a decade after WRKO came along
switching to MOR and WHDH countered by going to a soft Top 40 which
was a huge success.

Today WBZ is a preset with most listeners as they stand alone in
having an active newsroom and comprehensive traffic and weather. WRKO
simply abolished news to help pay for the Red Sox contract. WBUR is
now the only other option.

I wonder how the landscape will look 10 years from now.