digital converter box -- surprising performance

Robert S Chase attychase@comcast.net
Wed Jun 18 13:37:25 EDT 2008

Okay, as radio people we need to know all about telco connections since at
one time before the advent of microwave links, etc, this was all we had to
do remotes. I can remember having to bridge into a pay phone pair with our
emergency backup pair of capacitors to send a remote when telco failed to
make the central office connections on the other pair back to the studio.
(They were using yellow and black pair on the pay phone to get to the
central office, sent someone out and installed it at the site, then failed
to make the patch at the CO on time. (shift change) Since the pair in the
box I was supposed to use didn't work I had the studio call me on the pay
phone and used the other pair, red and green which was sitting right there
also. Think we bridged in there also so we wouldn't have the beep tone.  CO
wasn't too impressed with my output levels when they looked at it but as I
told them "what's a guy to do when they fall down!"  and they accepted the
situation grudgingly. Don't remember if we got a refund on the remote charge
but they didn't respond to our calls for help until the remote was nearly
over. <grin>).

So back to the query, when they pull the fiber out to the subscriber loop,
will they leave copper in place for all those who keep their POTS? Will it
be on the existing cable pairs or will they do a conversion process at the
pole or some local distribution point? I understand that copper cables have
a pair for each subscriber from the central office and then they go through
junction box near the subscriber where they branch off. (correct me if I am
wrong) They are going to have to do a similar thing with fiber won't they or
will there be a decoder at the network interface at each subscriber? Won't
that have to be powered anyway? And if that is so, why not simply run a dc
pair either in the fiber cable, wrapped with it, or along side it to provide
the dc? Does anybody know a good URL that can explain old POTS and new fiber
service (plain old vanilla as well as FIOS or other?)

Bob Chase