digital converter box -- surprising performance

John Mullaney john@minutemancomm.com
Mon Jun 16 20:46:56 EDT 2008

I have checked out many FiOS installations. TV is Coax from the box to
Motorola set top boxes (just like Comcast .... That’s right Coax.) The
internet modem is usually fed by coax as well. Though I have heard that some
are Ethernet. They do have a battery back up supply on the phone line.

-----Original Message-----
From: boston-radio-interest-bounces@tsornin.BostonRadio.org
[mailto:boston-radio-interest-bounces@tsornin.BostonRadio.org] On Behalf Of
Tony Abruzzese
Sent: Monday, June 16, 2008 12:16 PM
To: Dan Billings
Cc: boston-radio-interest@lists.BostonRadio.org
Subject: Re: digital converter box -- surprising performance

On 6/15/08 4:31 PM, Dan Billings wrote:
> Why would removing copper be a problem?

I recently switched back to Verizon for POTS rather than go with Comcast"s
Digital VOIP service. Here is the way it was explained to me by the Verizon
tech when I asked about upgrading to FIOS when it becomes available.

The phone company delivers power for your phone line over the copper. In the
event of a general power failure, your copper-based land line still works.
Note that this is only true for handsets that are hard wired to the
system... Your cordless phone base stations are still dependent on house
power.

FIOS based service is dependent on power from your home, instead of the
phone company. In the event of a power failure, the FIOS box goes down,
taking your phone down, along with internet and TV. Supposedly, Verizon is
working with their vendors to engineer a battery backup system for their
FIOS interface box, so that customers do not lose phone service in the event
of a power failure, but they don't currently have a solution.

Further, he said that the network is fiber to your house and the interface
box. From there, internet and TV are delivered over twisted pair ethernet
cable (CAT5, IIRC), instead of co-ax cable, so you would need a set-top box
for each TV connected to FIOS for even the most basic service.

--
Tony Abruzzese
BUSM Dept of Biochemistry